Thursday, August 19, 2010

My first experience with a Pakistani

I guess I must have been in University...went to the famous World Book Fair...which is a ritual in Delhi. That year...there was a stall put up by Pakistan.
I was curious as to what must be selling there and went to have a look at that stall. There were many people...just looking at the books in Urdu and English. There were a couple of people (whom I were judging...whether they are Pakistani or Indian) manning the stall.
And these people started speaking in Punjabi. I belong to the hills of Himachal in India and understand Punjabi and also speak Punjabi.
"Yaar tere kol sau rupey de khule haige" question one man. (Hey fellow! Would you have change of Rs 100). "Main ta ithe da ek tella bhi ni rakhya" replied the other (I dont have a penny of this place). And I was just shocked...they (read Pakistanis) speak just like us.

As Indians, you generally dont think about Pakistanis...even if you think...you think of them as just 'enemies' or people on the other side of the fence (others...different from us). But here I was standing with Pakistanis who were speaking like anyone else in Jallandhar....then why are they the 'others'

While in Delhi there are many Pakistani scholars visiting the city but this was actually my first interaction. I have met many ever since...and have come a long way...long long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment